Pliny the Elder, a Roman author, naturalist, and natural philosopher who wrote encyclopaedic Classical work Naturalis Historia is the only historical writer that mentions the Cape of Diomedes or Hyllus Peninsula and provides a description as well.
Is Pliny’s data reliable or not, well, let’s historians worry about that. Today, we are sure that this amazing place Cape Ploče or Diomedes Cape exist and it gives us possibility of most amazing shots…
But, mythology or perhaps historical facts, we do love, and we will not neglect them. Cape Ploče is one of the most prominent southern point of the Hyllus Peninsula. Next to the medieval Church of St. John of Trogir*, the remains of a shrine were discovered that was dedicated to the mythical hero (Homer) and later god, Diomedes.
His presence meant safe navigation for Greek merchants passing through this parr of the Adriatic, but not only that, also, guaranteed refuge in the nearby coves.
The site has revealed not only the presence of a small sized temple, but also ceramic chips, some of which bear inscriptions of the name of Diomedes.
Importance of this place** led into the legends of the Hyllini. Based on the same, Hellenistic geographers recorded fifteen cities on the Hyllus Peninsula inhabited by the barbarized Freak Hyllini.
Diomedes was not only a civilizing hero, he was also, more importantly, a protector of trans-Adriatic shipping.
*Legend says that 1062. John of Trogir bishop and local saint at the beginning of the 12th century, had saved a ship, its crew and cargo from a violent storm just off the Ploča promontory. In bishop’s honour, noblemen from Trogir built a church in 1331 at Cape Ploče, just few meters from the sea. The church of St.John is so far well preserved and defies weather still today.
** S. Bilić- Dujmušić also adds that Cape Ploča was located exactly at the border between the waters infested by Liburnian pirates, and the safer waters of Dalmatia, controlled by the Greek colony of Issa